Subject: Re: UKNM: Search Engines, Reputation Managers
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:20:42 +0100

At 10:58 03/08/00 +0100, Piers wrote:
>Google is a great example the power of user-generated reputation management
>(see http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990905.html for a good intro to the
>subject)

For some reason Chopstix recently dropped down in the rankings for the
search term "Chinese recipes" (It used to be number 2). I guess Google is
probably getting confused over the fact that there is www.chopstix.net
which is a gateway to uk.chopstix.net or usa.chopstix.net, depending on
your ip address. This is where the links notation idea falls down IMHO.

Ironically a (French) visitor sent me an email today:

> I have been scanning more than 200 web sites in the last 3 days to get
informations on chinese cooking.

> Chopstix is the best so far.
>
> I love the human side of it, the "experience", the connexion provided
with the chinese culture.

> PS: When using the search engine GOOGLE, Chopstix appeared only after
170 something positions.
> I do not not if it the same whith the other engines but you deserve a
better "ranking".

On another matter, nobody whatsoever responded to my post regarding
community systems. I am assuming it must be down to one of two things:

a) I have been sent to Coventry.
b) I know everything.

If it's a) then I apologise for saying whatever I did to cause such
mass-criticism. And if it's b) I apologise too!

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn
http://www.chopstix.net/ - The award-winning Oriental food and culture site.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036