Subject: Re: UKNM: Search Engine Registration
From: will rowan
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:22:46 +0100

Roger,

Ben's advice fits with all the core 'good practice' advice I've read. One
addition, for images (which engines can't read) - put keywords into the
image alt tag (which they can read)

Has anybody seen stats that rank search engines by uk useage?

I have also recently seen some UK research suggesting that the uk does use
search engine to find sites over other options (ads, referrals, etc)

Will

Ben Ellis wrote:

> Roger,
>
> Concentrate your submissions on the major search engines such as
Altavista, Excite, Lycos, Google, etc. I strongly recommend submitting by
hand and actually visiting the 'Add URL' pages of each engine. Multiple
submit packages such as Web Position Gold, etc are quite good but you can
never quite tell how the search engines will receive their submissions.
Some ban submissions from certain submit sites and packages. These major
engines are important as they make up about 80% of all internet searches,
plus there's about 15 of them so it doesn't really take that long.

> Regarding meta tags, make sure you have a title, description, and keywords
tag (Any other tags are pretty useless regarding search engine positioning).
This is just the beginning though, thorough keyword research is vital. What
do your customers look for when trying to find your product or service? Ask
customers, look at your site logs, check out the GoTo keyphrase tool
(http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/Search_Suggestion.jhtml). Target
keyphrases NOT individual words. You've got 'consultancy' as one of your
keywords, what kind? Will anyone type in 'consultancy' to find your site?
No. Try 'ebusiness consultancy', add focus to your keyphrases. Have a
fresh look at what you provide and then find new keyphrases to target. Look
at competitors to see what they use. Do a search and then check out who's
ranking No.1.

> You've got a very nice site but the one main problem regarding search
engine positioning is the lack of text on the site (within the <body> and
body to see if they 'match'. You've got 'consultancy' in the tags but not
in the body, it's all graphics and search engines cannot read graphics. Try
adding some of your keyphrases onto the body of your pages to add that
balance.

> I highly recommend visiting www.searchengineforums.com to learn more about
everything to do with search engine positioning. Also check out
http://www.123promote.com/workbook/plan2.htm for the basics on tags, search
engines, etc.

> Good luck,
>
> Ben Ellis
>
> D.Visions Limited
> Commerce House
> 306 Portland Road
> Hove
> BN3 5LP
> UK
>
> t: +44 (0) 1273 422207
If you need an E Commerce answer, ask the customer first
E AskatTheCustomer [dot] co [dot] uk www.TheCustomer.co.uk
T 0700 2 878 663 [0700 Customer] FireTalk 'TheCustomer'

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036