Subject: RE: UKNM: FW: pretty poor if you ask me (KMM342302C0KM)
From: Nicholas Tettenborn
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:24:10 +0100

The problem with lastminute could be their original choice in using ASP as
the programming language....

ASP is extremely difficult to properly scale/load balance if you try to
maintain state (which lastminute I guess would have to) this seems partly
why Microsoft is bringing in ASP 2 and .net...

Here is a quote from Microsofts own technical article...
"HTTP servers. A system of independent IIS servers, using any distribution
or load-balancing strategy, services HTTP requests from the Internet. As
demand for any resource increases, that resource or branch can be routed to
an underutilized computer. In order to exploit this powerful distribution
capability, your application needs to encapsulate HTTP requests so that they
provide all the information necessary to fulfill the request. By eliminating
reliance on server caching for a client between requests, the application
request set becomes stateless. Although ASP provides the Session object for
state caching on the server, dependence on this feature may limit an
application�s ability to scale because the Session object is not shared
across IIS servers. "

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/msdn_aspscale.htm

If they had done it in Java(EJB's), Coldfusion or Perl/Mod_Perl/Apache they
would have been able to just throw more boxes at the spike in traffic... If
the problem was really to do with the number of users...

Ohh yeah.. backend offer scalable robust and secure solutions from the
above.... If last minute wish to have a rewrite then I am sure we can
accomodate you. You will have to do it eventually! or are you already doing
it?....

Nick

__________________________________
Nicholas Tettenborn

Technical Director

Backend
44 - 46 Scrutton Street
London
EC2A 4QL
tel 020 7247 6664
fax 020 7247 9996
www.backend.co.uk

A deepgroup company
www.deepgroup.com

Visit www.pictor.com Bronze winner at the 40th International Clio Awards

[Sam says: msg chopped]

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036