Subject: RE: UKNM: Web Design Agencies
From: Paul Canty
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:47:09 +0100

on 21 August, Michael Reidy wrote....

MR> Excellent piece of work?

MR> When will designers learn that people want information fast, not
MR> pseudo-entertainment from clever, but vacuous flash sequences. After
five
MR> minutes, I don't know who they are or what they can offer.

MR> Get real.

I think you're slightly missing the point here...

amon is an experimental site featuring content that suits that
particular style.

Of course there are gratuitous use of Flash sequences on loads of
sites, but in this case I think it fits the subject matter well and
shows what the "product" is about. Sites like this offer very different
"products and services" to portals and ecom sites, but they are no less
valid just because they are experimental.

The web isn't just for transferring information. Its a place where
freedom of speech is hanging on by its fingernails and where
experimentation should still be encouraged and promoted.

There's no point getting information quickly if it means nothing to the
person its aimed at. Design is a key part of the marketing mix and just
because it uses Flash doesn't mean its art-wank and doesn't sell stuff!

Paul

paul canty | p r e l o a d e d | digital media collective
http://www.preloaded.com | http://www.linkdup.com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036