Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #115
From: Tomski
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:40:50 GMT

> The only reason for hosting an aimed-at-the-UK eCommerce
>site in the US is one of cost. The reason (most) US hosting providers
>are cheaper than UK-based ones is because they have good US<--->US
>bandwidth but precious little if any of the expensive stuff -
>transatlantic

hmmm, dunno about this thesis IMO the reason they're cheaper in the US is
cos their market is larger, much more competitive and also that US
operations are orders of magnitude more efficient, as are their levels of
service.

if you make your decision about who to use for e-commerce serving on just
packet latency/loss and price, you're making a mistake - factors such as
uptime and 24/7 support are much more important in real life - and from my
personal experience, I'd much rather pay decent money, for a decent service
in the US, and take the hit on packet latency.

The 'it's slower to serve in the US' argument is much over-used IMO,
especially since the really long wait is often the process credit card
clearance (always quicker in the US in my exp, since the lines to the
clearing banks are always live - unlike here, where you often have to wait
for the likes of NetBanx/Datacash to awaken a connection to their clearing
bank)

and anyway, one shouldn't be worrying so much about the tech - it's the
quality of your marketing that really determines success/failure