Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: ecommerce Xmas wet dream or nightmare
From: Sam Michel
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:01:07 GMT

At 18:02 08/12/99 +0000, lunch wrote:
>Ye gods - this man, he speaks the truth.
>
>Hopefully, if this Christmas kills anything it'll be the fly-by-nights that
>have surfaced recently and the belief that you can trip out of business
>school with a photocopied chapter from the the McKinsey book-of-the-month,
>receive �20m in VC capital with half a copied idea and actually launch a
>serious e-business.

Maybe this is a good thing to weed out some of the operators who haven't
given proper consideration to their fulfilment strategy. However, if it the
fall-out happens at the same time, which seems to be a feature of the new
media industry, it could be a very bad thing for the industry as a whole.

I'm not saying a touch of realism in some of the new media businesses that
have just launched wouldn't be a bad thing? My gut feeling is that some
folks out there have put ludicrous ecommerce revenue projections on their
business plans to get funding and when they miss those by a mile, the New
Year is going to be uncomfortable.

Toodle Pip

Sam
- for sales enquiries <salesatchinwag [dot] com (mailto:salesatchinwag [dot] com)>
- for general feedback <feedbackatchinwag [dot] com (mailto:feedbackatchinwag [dot] com)>