Subject: Re: UKNM UKNM: Ranty philosophy
From: Lois Grayson
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:06:18 GMT

> Ah, there we have it. You can sit back...How long now have we been saying
> that the reason there will never be total convergence is the simple fact
> that we consume the media of internet and TV differently?
> >>>>

> Sooo wrong. Haven't you seen any good Flash movies lately? Or video clips?
> As bandwidth becomes less of an issue, "Interactivity" is not about CD-ROM
> like impediment, as in "Click here to continue". With few exceptions, the
TV
> remote and the PC keyboard are remarkably similar. It's just a question of
> scale.
>
> Tom Dussek

Remember the 'Flake and girl in the bath' ad - far greater impact in the
cinema, pretty 'so what?' on TV.

Sorry Tom but I think you're wrong - research into human computer
interactivity has shown that the proximity to the PC required to 'make sense
of ' visual information involves a few different visual processing systems
from those used to watch TV - where we sit further back to gain resolution.
Also we sit further back from TVs partly for social reasons whereas we are
almost always socially exclusive when we sit at a PC. Two reasons why our
experience of, and perceptions arising from, consuming the same content
through different media are dissimilar .

An example to illustrate why understanding the subtleties of cognition wrt
media variance is important:
Have you ever turned the radio down in the car when you wanted to make sense
of a map? That's because the aural interference affects our ability to deal
with unfamiliar written words/visual info. - the articulatory loop's
capacity is used up in processing the words in songs , preventing us from
using the loop for sub-vocalising (saying it in our heads) - which we need
to do when we're dealing with non-words or low frequency or difficult words
( I turn the radio off driving in Wales). Given this, if you mix sound,
text and vision inappropriately on a site the resulting confusion will drive
people away/make your messages unclear.

>From the stance you took I reckon you're a designer; I understand why you'd
want to mix in Flash, video etc to create something exciting. But it's not
just an issue of increased bandwidth allowing us simply to add in media rich
content as if the PC and TV were identical - if we use new content forms
we need to do so conscious of their impact on perceivers' abilities to
receive and process all the stimuli we simultaneously provide.

Design = form and function and media consideration on the web - not just
according to technical constraints but also from the perspective of
cognitive psychology.

Lois