Subject: Re: UKNM: WAP Numbers
From: Richard Bailey
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:19:23 GMT

WAP = Betamax (not even in the spell checker)

Its expensive, slow, ugly (in tech terms too) and will be had over by the
new phones using HTML and bigger screens with OS's like WindowsCE/DOTnet.
We had it pumped down our necks to make up for the research budget that was
spent on it, no one wants to flush that much cash. In three years we will
all wonder what happened to it. I might be wrong but when you look at the
new PDA's that have WindowsCE and they are the size of a phone its not
really too far off. And we all know that the wireless data rates will go up
to above a 56k modem (clear signal dreamland) in a year or so who will want
to download dumb low res pic and under 1 k of text. Why have another format
when HTML will still be there.
Consumers need something that looks good and not like a loading screen from
a ZX spectrum in black and white.
If you want this now buy a small laptop a PCMCIA internet/phone card and
bingo the worlds largest internet mobile phone (with speaker phone and a 5
hour battery life).
It just seems silly to go off at a tangent and in economic terms it could
cost billions in lost funding on projects that come to a dead end. WAP
pages and serverside services lost back to HTML in a year or so? Maybe its
an idea that needs to be looked into.

Richard Bailey

A large explosion first brings a dead silence you can feel; sound like a
tidal wave pulling back the sea from a beach.