Subject: Re: UKNM: the absurd economics of the net
From: manou
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:58:07 GMT

Look at it this way, we all know that banner ads can be intrusive, and
boring as hell. But stop and think for a sec - the Internet and banner
advertising is still relatively a new concept when you compare it with
traditional communications channels. If we were exposed to dull,
unimaginative and humourless pitches on the telly or the radio that did
very little except pitch products with nary a thought to creativity - then
we would also label such advertising as 'sucking the big one'. But that's
not the case...is it? TV and radio advertising have evolved over the years
to be entertaining as well as informative. People watch the Superbowl ads
because they are well produced and creative. Obviously ads need to be
engaging - and I will bet you that when technology will lend itself to
creating banner ads that are captivating, more interactive than they are
now and above all...creative, things will be different. We have already
come a long way...so it may not be long before we start seeing well
produced banner
ads using streamed video, sound, intresting storyboards etc. Perhaps if
the quality improved as opposed to the quantity - we would realise better

Tim wrote;

| A truly brilliant idea. One could, of course just send them the ten cents
and ask them to look at the banner. In fact buy.com are already doing this
(selling products at a loss and collecting ad revenue at the site). I'd do
it myself if it wasn't for one thing....How the Hell do you ensure that the
banners are read?
Which brings me back to my favourite rant. BANNERS JUST SUCK.This points up
the fundamental paradox in banner and old media
advertising. It's just carpet bombing with the brand - just random
yelling of product qualities to a largely uninterested public.
Old and New Media MUST learn that sales come through ENGAGING with the
consumer.

This is the most incredibly instructive thought experiment. It shows
that we can't see the flaw in this obviously foolish scheme BECAUSE
WE'RE NOT THINKING BEYOND THE CURRENT PARADIGM.

Advertising - Get Over It.

Manou Marzban
Director of Marketing - BiblioTech
0171 460 4647
email: manouatpostmaster [dot] co [dot] uk