Subject: UKNM: Banners
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 19:38:52 GMT

manouatpostmaster [dot] co [dot] uk said:

>Which brings me back to my favourite rant. BANNERS JUST SUCK.

Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> replied

>>The results of an online survey of 12-16 year olds we have been running
>>since the 19th Jansupport your contention entirely. Answer 11, 78% do not
>>click on banners):
>>http://www.imrg.org/survey/answers/youth.htm

One reason why market research gets such a bad name is that it is used so
badly. The results of an "online survey" are worthless because the sample is
self-selecting.

>As I suspect there are very few 12-16 year olds on this list, so can I
>request you do not fill in a response. But for those interested, the
>question page is here:
>http://www.imrg.org/survey/answers/youth.htm

Exactly. Relying on people's honesty in a survey is hardly a guarantee that
the sample is accurate. And even if only 12-16 year olds filled it in, your
sample, would by definition, be of people who like to fill in forms. People
who like to fill in forms are not representative of any population (other
than compulsive form-fillers and bureaucrats).

But of course youngsters will not be particularly attracted to banner ads.
Anyone who has the thankless task of trying to win young eyes on the web
will need to think beyond the banner.

Going back to the original point "Banners suck" I am never quite sure what
people mean when they use this expression. Is it a reference to oral sex (I
see no objection to the practice, personally), is it derived from an insult
directed at gay men (still see no objection) or does it refer to the pulling
power of, in this case, banner ads?

It is common knowledge that a typical click-through rate on a banner
campaign is 1-2%. Which makes it better than direct mail, for considerably
less environmental and economic impact.

Of course the technique is old-media and crude. But then the new media are
still trying to grow up and develop their own paradigms.

>>Old and New Media MUST learn that sales come through ENGAGING with >>the
consumer.

So what does this mean exactly? The only examples I ever hear of are
sponsoring sports games. Hardly radical thinking, now, is it?

It's all very well coming up with fancy clich�s to convince people you have
something new and different on offer but the fact is that there is yet
nothing new on the table from the New Media thinkers, just repackaging of
the old, old thought.

Banner advertising on web sites is very crude, very limited, and seldom very
creative. But in most cases it could be a whole lot better if the campaigns
were better thought out.

NMC/Adplan is currently working with technology and design partners on some
new techniques for presenting advertisements that probably will meet Manou's
criteria of engaging the audience. The techniques under development will not
displace banner advertising techniques, merely complement them, at least in
the short term. As to the long term, I will leave it up to the clever people
on this list to tell us what that will bring.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan
Web advertising - it's all about what is today, not what might be tomorrow