Subject: UKNM: Realtime sharedealing's not us
From: Darren Wallace
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 19:38:56 GMT

On Monday I had my first experience of selling shares.

The Emap shareprice has rallied dramatically in the last few days, and Monday
seemed a good time to sell some of the small amount that I had. Wanting to
practise what I preach: I'll decided to sell them online'.

So first I went to E*Trade's www.etrade.com
Unfortunately, as far as I could tell, they only currently offer a servce to UK
residents who want to trade in US stocks, as the UK specific service hasn't
officially launched yet.

I then went to the Charles Schwab site www.schwab-worldwide.com/Europe

They offer 3 ways to trade - web, phone or TTT (Touch Tone Trading).I dutifully
clicked on the web option to open an account.
I filled out a registration form, and then submitted it.

Four hours later, I still hadn't received anything back - not even an
autoresponder message.

So I called them, concerned that there might have been some kind of
transmission error. The response that I received was that my application form
details would be handed over to another department.They would then send me some
*paperwork*, which I then needed to complete and return, *before* I could start
trading online.

In addition, there is a �20/�25 set-up charge.

'How long is this all going to take then?' I asked.
'About 4 working days'. was the reply.

The whole point of me wanting to sell on Monday was to literally cash-in on the
sudden upsurge of the shareprice. And selling them online seemed to be a fast
and efficient way to do this.

In the end, I put a call through to Lloyds Stockbrokers (Lloyds are Emap's
registrars).
Lloyds took my details there and then, set me up with a temporary account, and
then put me through to the sharedealing desk.
Within 3 minutes of me calling them, I had sold my shares, and was told that
I'd receive payment by direct debit on the 15th Feb.
It only cost me a �25 commission fee, and *no* setup charge. I posted my share
certificates to them the next day.

All of us on this list spend a good deal our time evangelising about the
Internet to clients.
But if, as in my case, it means a slower and more expensive service for the
customer than doing things the 'traditional way' then what is the point?

Is it me, or is something wrong with this picture?

BTW, my pack from Charles Schwab arrived this morning (Friday).

D.
Darren Wallace - Marketing Manager
CommerceNet Consortium - UK & Ireland
darrenatcommercenet [dot] org [dot] uk
+44 171 916 2875(T) +44 171 209 1236(F) +44 410 780 775(GSM)
www.commercenet.org.uk (UK & Ireland) www.commerce.net (Global)