Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 19:39:00 GMT

---Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> wrote:
> I'd be more interested in the demographic profile of homes with satellite
> systems and cable access (this feels familiar territory - home
> entertainment = cheap entertainment) and if you think a little thing like a
> credit card will stall consumer e-commerce you ain't thinking straight.

Thinking straight never got me anywhere - my thought processes are
positively bent.

When Sky first came to market was it not lower-income households who
jumped on the bandwagon in droves? (Visions of sink estates covered in
dishes...) So I think to a certain extent you've answered half of my
question - assuming that you are referring to the fabled new platforms
like InTV.

But you haven't addressed the issue of exclusion - and I doubt whether
many on this list even consider the fate of those living on or below
the poverty line. The gross distortions caused to the global economy
by the activities of transnational corporations are I imagine 'dull as
dishwater'.

And would you care to share with the rest of us the reason why the
lack of a credit card will prove to be no hindrance?

> Sajid, for once you forgot to polish your crystal ball.

Note the caveat I inserted above 'unsubstantiated conviction' - not
'assertion qualified by years of industry experience and expensive
research'.

If you want crystal ball gazing, Criswell Predicts the Internet
industry will go the way of the video game industry circa 1983 (for
Colecovision, read Cisco) by about 2001. Whilst we wait for the
industry to recover, I will be spearheading the development of a new
generation of youth-oriented religious cults which will have a pop
culture aesthetic (imagine Zen Buddhism designed by Me Company &
Designers Republic) and customer service a la Orange or Egg.

You are all welcome to visit me in Goa, where I will be forming a
colony of burnt-out MarCom executives - especially Tim Hayward (not
that I'm suggesting you're burnt-out), as your skills in cuisine,
forensic photography & wearing 'outrageous shirts' would fit in
marvellously. ;)

Sajid Mohammed
Magister Templi, World OTO