Subject: Re: UKNM: shopping solutions
From: Charlie.Williams
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:32:13 GMT

Charlie Williams@ECSOFT
08/02/99 11:34

James wrote:
>I would like some opinions on client side javascript shopping systems
>against server side compiled or scripted solutions. My own view is that
>server side solutions give added robustness (indeed all my sites are server
>side) as they are browser independent and the slight loss of performance is
>a price well worth paying. What does the rest of the community feel / have
>experience with? Would anyone tout client side to a client? Do clients know
>the difference? Is the world round?

Good question. One possible answer is: if your audience is likely to be
version 4.0-enabled, go for the full functionality of JavaScript, make the
client-side code robust, and make the final server-side transaction script
even more robust.

As long as the server script gets the final order and credit card details
securely and accurately, does the cart matter that much? JS can do it
faster and more flexibly so I would always explore that route first.

Of course, clients can start faffing around with the client code if they
wish, but what damage can that do if your server script for the final
transaction is robust and prepared for tomfoolery?

Drawback: much of your clever code is going to be visible to the browsing
public if you go the JavaScript route.

Just my thoughts,

Charlie.