Subject: RE: UKNM: Realtime sharedealing's not us
From: Leslie Bunder
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:59:23 GMT

the issue with buying and selling shares is that most of these firms
want to run a check on you first (eg: to confirm you are who you say you
are, that you pass a credit check/address check etc).

Then once they confirm who you are, then it's the process of setting up
the account.

Also, they are not keen on having you for just one deal they want you
for more than just one deal and often favour the terms of your account
on this basis (eg: trade more than once a month and the rate is better
for you).

Indeed, it can be frustrating to want to trade on the spot and then not
find a way to do it. But you need to look at it from both sides. They
need to protect their interests to make sure the person who says he/she
has shares to sell actually has those shares to sell, otherwise it
causes all sorts of problems.

Lloyds could probably do it for you straight away as they are the
registrar and can confirm your details on the spot. Likewise you could
have walked into most banks and sold on the spot as you could show
phsical proff of ownership in some form eg: share certificate.

Leslie
Leslie Bunder, technology writer, Teletext on the Web
e-mail: LBunderatteletext [dot] co [dot] uk (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
web: http://www.teletext.co.uk
tel: 0171 386 3667 (inside UK) or +44 171 386 3667 (outside UK)