Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:08:15 GMT

>you can't. You spammed me, under false pretenses, in an unforgivably
>rude manner, naturally unsolicited, and using a deliberate
>misdirection (meaning your colleague forged a forwarded message).

We are clearly going to have to disagree on what is acceptable in terms of
unsolicited email, but 'unforgivably rude' come on Felix. I have also
explained that the non-existent 'To' email address was a simple
administrative and technical fix which we have stopped doing since you
brought it to our attention, despite the fact that we regularly email our
400 or so members using this fix and have never had a single complaint.
Your continued emphasis on 'deliberate misdirection' and 'forging', on the
other hand is unacceptable. Get over it.

>Don't, please, do it again - it ill becomes an organisation that
>would wish to be taken at all seriously as an authority on e-matters
>as opposed to a get-rich-quick scheme.

As you know we had already confirmed this to you directly before you raised
the subject in this forum, so you can quit the point scoring.

>> Thirdly, and most importantly on to your damaging comments about the
IMRG.
<snip>
>> Quite what you can be referring to with regards to us
>> capitalising on the work you do eludes me. I don't really want to invite
>> further conversation on this issue, but perhaps you could be clearer off
>> list.

>Point taken - maybe we just think that we do all the valuable
>groundwork that bodies such as IMRG then belittle... ;) [ironic joke]

I have no comment here, but I left it in so you could enjoy reading your
response again.

>> The IMRG whilst taking a position on retail best practice online - and
>> being a consumer qualifies me for that judgement

>Bollocks. Since when did being a consumer qualify anyone for
>anything? Does it imply that I, as a consumer of Weetabix (although
>maybe not enough), am qualified to design the packaging, employ the
>farmers etc? Surely all it qualifies me to be is an eater of
>Weetabix. Sorry old fruit, my judgement is just as valid on that one
>as yours, Sajid's, Mike Slocombe's or the
>always-right-except-where-it-come-to-the-net Bill Gates'.

Felix, read what I write, before you go off on your tangent. As a consumer
I can tell plenty about whether I want to shop somewhere, it has nothing to
do with my personal ability to actually create the proposition itself.
Creating online retail propositions is clearly not for the faint-hearted or
unskilled, but any ordinary shopper is going to tell you soon enough
whether its a bunch of crap. I can see now, Felix, why you have such
difficulty with accepting that all your Weetabix eater needs to decide is
that he hates it, and all those skilled practitioners further up the chain
are out of a job.

>(Curious: why? Would it not be more useful to discuss it with
>Swatch's web agency? Swatch sell watches - it's all they're
>'qualified' to do!)

God your arrogance is breathtaking. Do you really believe that there is
sustainable business in depending on the continuing ignorance of your
clients?

>IMRG is backwards-looking, in my
>opinion, in that it looks at what has gone before and then judges it
>with hindsight. It appears as if its policy is to hold the hand of
>the retailer while someone else goes off and does the
>ground-breaking. The policy of the new media agency is to hold the
>hand of the retailer while together they establish a foothold in new
>territory. You might be able to tell I have a thing about
>associations, groups, quangos and other back-slapping organisations:
>long experience of pouring money in and seeing nothing but hot air
>come out, without exception to the detriment of the client's
>confidence, and as a consequence, to the industry that I belong to
>(which is different to yours).

As far as I can tell, Felix, you have had no direct contact with anyone
from the management team of the IMRG, ever. Your opinions are therefore
clearly based on your confessed prejudice and on nothing more. Even a
cursory glance at our output and even a single conversation with an active
member, plenty of whom are from your industry, would trash your superficial
judgements about what we do. The naivety of your statement about holding
the hand of the retailer whilst the wonderful Felix goes off and does the
real work, is the last shovel-load of the hole you have been digging.

>It ain't personal Steve, you just need, as you say, to use
>the occasional emoticon. :*

And god help us if emoticons are the salvation of irony in the wired age.

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
The IMRG
www.imrg.org