Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Amazon.com
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:53:06 GMT

rChris Heathcote wrote:

> At 2:12 pm +0000 on 21/2/00, Stefan Magdalinski wrote:
>
> >except that 95% of the academic usability theory and practice is snake
> >oil of the first order.
>
> Indeed. In Nielsen's latest book, he talks about usability
> consultants who, when asked about navigation, and usability of
> websites, didn't know what users wanted, merely how to test to see
> what users want. Sites benefit from a user advocate in a "benevolent
> dictator" role, taking in other's concerns, and building a site with
> real vision that cuts right to the core of the product/site. This will
> immediately fulfill what I see as brand values that any e-commerce
> site must have, namely trust, ease-of-use, and honesty.

ooh. have a lollipop and a gold star.

> Talking about CS graduates, it's hard to name more than 2 or 3 CS
> degrees that produce good real-world programmers, let alone usability
> consultants and interaction designers. It all comes with experience.

because most CS degrees teach a batch of what's trendy software in the
marketplace. The good ones teach nothing but fundamentals across
languages, and design principles, leaving learning languages (actually
very tedious after a while, because apart from syntax, they're
effectively all the same) to the individual.

stefan

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin
info: http://www.isness.org/house/boat/sig.txt **/