Subject: Re: UKNM: Commercial internet research companies
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:16:26 GMT

From: Michael Wilcox <m [dot] wilcoxatbigfoot [dot] com>
> Apologies if this has been asked before (I've only recently joined).
>
> Could anyone recommend a company that can carry out some research for a
new
> internet business idea.
>
> We need quantitative and qualitative figures for potential and future
market
> size for traffic flows and an analysis of how popular the idea might be
with
> the general public and with intermediary client companies.
>
> Anyone else been through this process?

No, actually the standard approval system for the majority of .com start-ups
is as follows:

1) Someone mentions an idea in the pub at lunchtime.
2) If more than two people present say "that's a great idea" then they get
funding (for the next round, anyway).
3) Everybody rushes back to the office (read: basement) to secure a domain
name.
4) Ultimately they will fail to find a suitable .com name for their
application, but while they are looking someone comes up with a 'winning'
name that has no connection to the original idea. The name is purchased.
5) A new plan/idea is conceived around this new domain name and again
funding is secured - this time for pizza.

>From here on in, I have no idea *what* goes on. I hate pizza.

:)

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter, Designercity (www.designercity.com)