Subject: RE: UKNM: Need Advice
From: Nicholas Tettenborn
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:22:06 GMT

> I'm in desperate need of help. I am a web designer but most of my skill
> lies in the actual aesthetic side of things, making a site look good.
> I know nothing about data base design or
> e-commerce so I am
> standing right in the deep end! Please can someone advice me as
> to what the
> best software to buy would be? Also, are there any books/sites I should
> buy/visit where I can learn about all this?

If you are talking about a retail site:

If you did want to give it a shot first then products like Intershop are a
good place to start. Intershop is a "shop in a box" type of solution
combining a set of management tools for your products plus a shopping cart.

http://www.intershop.com/

the tedbaker site was developed using this which shows the possibilities...

Intershop does the database design for you so you do not need to get too
in-depth if you do not want.

Most payment gateways will have credit card verification and most are
reasonably easy to use (so you don't have to worry about that).

One very simple solution as an alternative to intershop that you may be able
to get your head round easily is click and build from the payment gateway
worldpay.

http://www.clickandbuild.com/

You are limited in terms of design in some ways although you can get some
good looking sites out of it with some experience. It is not though a very
scalable solution for large sites but one that is easy to set up initially.

Regards

Nicholas Tettenborn

Backend
44-46 Scrutton Street