Subject: RE: UKNM: Toys R US - site, outdated - who does it???
From: Andrews, Stephen
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:41:54 GMT

Don't the big retailers need someone to tell them that this whole thing
is an opportunity rather than a threat (isn't that the new media
marketeer's message?).

Hypothetically, take Tesco : they move from selling everything off the
shop floor to selling 70%+ online and then distributing it themselves to
the consumer or have the consumer "drive-thru" and collect (impulse buys
and petrol etc still possible). Suddenly they can put their "brix &
mortar" to a different use - they utilise what is already a mammoth,
organised, efficient distribution mechanism for shifting other people's
stuff. Overnight (well in conventional re-engineering terms anyway),
they have moved from retailer to logistics company, have somewhere
approaching the same level of sales, less cash tied up in large stores
stocked to the gunnels, lower cost of sale, still get the hugely
profitable petrol and impulse sales happening, forge closer
relationships with their customers (if delivery to my home works once,
why would I then change), compile a bigger/better consumer database for
other ancillary marketing activities, and still utilise their investment
in transport/storage/warehousing to a truly profitable end.

Pie in the sky? Maybe but not really beyond the wit of anyone who lets
the imagination run a bit and doesn't get freaked by the idea that this
thing is a threat to conventional business/retailing. Of course it is -
why should that be a negative?

Spread the word!

Steve Andrews
Business Analyst