Subject: UKNM: Re: PR / Libel
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:51:05 GMT

John wrote:
> Surely Brent failed in this issue as he forgot one of the basics rules of
PR
> - don't get too defensive or speak unless you have to.

I *really* valued the fact that Brent contributed, however, as a prospective
customer who's been disappointed with the lastminute.com experience, I don't
want to hear about customers who have had a jolly nice time! :-) First and
foremost, what I really wanted to hear was how things were going to improve
for me, however valid or not my original point was!

John also wrote:
> On another note, we are going to have a communications (message board /
> chat) area on our site - I am just putting the finishing touches to the
> policy document for all subscribers to that service.... huge,
comprehensive
> and legally binds the user to whatever they write. If you include a email
> verification loop for access to the area then you should be safe.... but
you
> can never tell!

I'm not sure that legally binding the user to whatever they write will do
much use. After all, how many visitors would have enough funds to defend a
libel action? That would probably leave having to conduct your own defence.
You would then need to try and claim back the cash from the original
visitor, and I don't hold out much hope.

I seem to recall, but I could be wrong, that the gentleman who sued Demon
Internet didn't sue Scallywag as he knew that they didn't have any money and
it would be a waste of time. BTW, I have never worked for Virgin. I have,
however worked for both demon.net and Scallywag!

--
Ian