Subject: Re: UKNM: Another Argos?
From: Speechrad
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:13:35 GMT

If you 'offer goods fopr sale' then once an order is placed a contract
exists
and you are obliged to supply at those terms or you may be liable to pay
some
compensation to enable the customer to obtain the goods at the price
equivalent. You should instead offer an 'invitation to treat'. Which means
in
plain English, 'I might want to sell you this at this price so make me an
offer and I'll get back to you'. Obviosly, you still have to be careful not
to accept silly offers like 98p for a TV because you invited offers at that
price but if you offer for sale, you are committed once someone accepts.

Mick Trott

In a message dated 08/01/01 11:35:58 GMT Standard Time, alexatbriffa [dot] com