Subject: UKNM: Cost of bringing in visitors
From: Bob S
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:03:41 GMT

Has anyone done, or seen, any research into the typical cost of getting a
new visitor to a site (B2C), averaging out the various methods used e.g. PR,
advertising, viral marketing and so on. as I appreciate some methods are
more cost effective per visitor but may not be able to pull in large
volumes.

I have a feeling it is about one pound per visitor, but I would really
appreciate any info or links to info.

Concrete examples would also be great, such as the cost Amazon spends
getting each new visitor.

Also, whilst I am asking, does anyone have figures or research on typical
rates of conversion for B2C sites of visitors becoming paying customers?
>From the bits I have found so far it seems that a lot of the figures are
skewed due to some companies claiming a person who has simply registered is
a "customer" so they can ramp up their figures. Filtering these out seemed
to indicate a rate of about 1 percent. Does this sound right?

Regards