Subject: Re: UKNM: Brainstorming - PC's Next Victim
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:15:35 GMT

Ashley Pomeroy <arpattermisoc [dot] org> said:

> I hate the word 'brainstorm'. It conjures up a mental image of
> poorly-educated middle-managers in ill-fitting suits, promoted purely
> because they fit in and buy drinks during office parties, sitting before a
> sheet of paper on which is sketched a circle with 'What do you associate
> with Bovril?'. Mediocrity multiplies - ten mediocre people working in a
> team produce ideas which are ten times as mediocre.

I think I have been in that meeting a long time ago...

But of course, if you went to a posh school (University of Plymouth???), if
you know everything, can't learn any more, have no need of input from
colleagues (besuited or otherwise) and dread working as part of a team,
forget brainstorming or any other collaborative exercise - you don't need
it. You can solve the world's problems all on your own.

In my experience, far from producing mediocre ideas, ten mediocre people
working in a team with the right approach can produce far more meaningful
and useful ideas than any number of prima donnas working alone.

The thing about ideas is that they cost nothing and exist in
super-abundance. Anyone with half a brain can produce them. Indeed, brains
are so powerful that, even when more than 50% of the organ in question is
dead, the rest (if healthy and alive) can still do a reasonable job of
producing meaningful output. The problem is that we teach them to be lazy
and do as little as possible. During the latter half of the last century,
people such as Edward DeBono developed all sorts of techniques for making
the grey wet stuff work a bit harder. Very useful for management consultants
working on a team of sleepy middle managers.

As a general rule, I would say that if you want to produce a good idea,
start off with 100+ ideas of unknown quality and work on them. This works on
the principle of 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Which is why
brainstorming can be useful. Spend 10 mins throwing a bunch of ideas up on
to a big bit of paper and then examine the results.

And once you have a working idea, you need to bake it. No good doing it in
half measures.

One of the biggest problems with the dotcom boom of yesteryear is that too
many young hopefuls worked on the principle that it is the big idea (often
no more than a silly domain name) that get's you there. Ideas, without the
means to (a) judge their worth and (b) realise them, are worthless.

Ray Taylor