Subject: RE: UKNM: Too good to be true
From: Ben Metcalfe
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:27:16 GMT

This scam is rather old - a few years in fact and so I can't believe they
are still doing it.

They basically ask you to instruct your bank that you agree to have the
contents of your back account withdrawn by these people - thought it is
dressed up to look like a mandate just to remove the ?20 million (or
whatever it is). And funnily enough they ask you for this BEFORE they
supposedly deposit the money into your account. Of course your bank account
gets cleared of it's funds.

To be honest with you it's so OTT (?20 million - yeah right!) that anyone
who believes in it, and risks their company's accounts in the process
deserves what they get. (For being greedy, for being stupid and for
breaking the law - up front it implies it is a tax dodge).

Serious point: The times I have seen this scam (on TV, etc...) it has been
in letter form and so the Police have been interested in following it up.
The old chestnut comes in that are the authorities going to be able to/want
to pursue the same level of inquires on the basis of an email rather than a
signed letter?????

Perhaps you might like to forward it to them out of curiosity?

Ben Metcalfe