Subject: Re: UKNM: More viral stuff......
From: Silas Denyer
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:20:30 -0000

Has anyone any feeling as to the rights / wrongs of taking an email address
by way of referral, collecting the email address of the referrer, and
sending the referral email stamped with the referrer's email address in the
From: field - which should lead to any "click reply" complaints going
straight back to the original referrer? (obviously with the appropriate
information contained within the email itself to show who you are, what you
are doing with the data, and so on...)

Re the DPA, etc., if you do nothing more than pass the data you refer
straight into an application which generates an outgoing email address, and
do not store the referral information anywhere other than in your outgoing
mail logs, you're probably on much firmer ground. If, however, you actually
collate a database of those people you've been referred to for any other
purposes I would imagine you are on much stickier ground. It would appear
that the more steps you take to ensure that the data cannot be accessed or
otherwise used for any other purpose the better. Does anyone have any more
concrete information?

Debate on!

Silas Denyer