Subject: Re: [uk-netmarketing] RE: Blind Readers
From: Cait Hurley
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:17:31 -0000

For anyone who wants to take a view, there's a useful *free* product in
action - try searching for "Betsie" on BBC online, and you'll find that the
BBC uses a perl parcer that they have - gawd bless them - free sourced so
anyone who wants to bolt it on can do so.

What it does is basically make a site in to an HTML 1.01 with no images
site - all text. It can handle frames and forms and it's perfect for not
only blind users but it has implications for other media. It loads like a
bullet - as you'd expect.

And it all came from one bloke called Wayne. Everyone should use it but
hardly anyone does. It's free! It'll take you a day to tweak and use! Voila
- a text only version of the site!

Am I making this clear enough? It's free and it takes next to no dev time
out of precious budgets!

C.

At 09:34 29/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Silas
>
>It just happens that we have had to research just this sort of thing for a
>client of ours recently. An excellent resource is the WAI web accessibility
>initiative. You can get more info from http://www.w3.org/WAI/ links to lots
>of readers and testing sites etc.
>
>Someone earlier mentioned the Disability Act ,is there any other pending
>legislation that may make access a requirement for sites? We had heard the
>AOL got sued in the states for not ALT tagging images, is this true or not?
>
>And to qoute Tim Berners-Lee "The power of the Web is in its universality.
>Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
>
>Teddie

>Neutralize (*\*)
>Independent Online Marketing Services
>T: +44 (0)1209 210910