Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] RE: Blind Readers
From: Theyers, Andy
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:14:13 -0000

>This also brings us to a next step in this thread.
>if we assume, like browsers, there are different apps for reading html, >do
we then have to build for different versions of these readers as well?
>Can we be held responsible, legally, if one blind reader can access our
>site fine but another has problems?

This one is quite interesting. One of my customers has already had action
brought against them under the Disability Act because the site was not
accessible to blind users...

As it turned out they were disgruntled customers of the traditional business
and were trying to cause as many problems for them as possible, but the
customer did have to redesign the site with a clear link to the "blind
friendly" version of the site.

Because of this and other work in the NHS I've done quite a bit in this
area, and can categorically say that 1) yes, the Disability Act does include
web sites and that 2) if you contact RNIB they will provide you with a
browser called Opera - if your site is Opera readable you are considered to
have done enough to satisfy the Disability Act.

Hope this helps

Andy
--
Andy Theyers - Account Manager - Infocom (UK) Ltd
tel: +44 (0) 1904 559802

This e-mail including any attachments is confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received it in error please advise the sender
immediately by return email and then delete it from your system. The
unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of this email is
strictly forbidden. If you need assistance please contact the IT help desk
on +44 207 467 2154.

This email is from a unit or subsidiary of EMI Group plc, registered in
England No 229231 Registered Office: 4 Tenterden Street, London W1A 2AY..

.