Subject: Re: UKNM: Page impressions - how many is good?
From: neville clarke
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:36:09 +0100

At 15:54 10/07/98 +0100, Nick at NewsNow Publishing wrote:
>I'm trying to establish what constitutes a decent number of impressions
>per month for a site. I've been told by some ad bureaus that a million is
the minimum in order to make decent money. Is this really the case?
>>Also, what is the value of collecting email addresses? If they are used
to gather more data on a site's users, what sort of information are
advertisers interested in?>>

1. Leaving the vexed question of data collection, spam and privacy on one
side for the moment, what is an impression? One visitor to your site may
visit ten pages and on the way clock up any number of 'impressions.' In
America there seems to be a consensus that the number of 'unique visitors'
per month is a significant number as is the number of pages 'seen' by each
such visitor.

2. A thousand visitors a day each visiting ten pages would give a monthly
average total of 300.000 'page impressions.' Are the 'ad bureaus' Nick
refers to saying that a site needs to clock a minimum of over 3,300
visitors a day "in order to make decent money?"

3. Another factor must be the quality of the visitor. To a large extent
that will be determined by the nature of the site. Advertisers in the press
make assumptions about the demographics of the Sun readership as against
that of the Financial Times or of the Butterfly Spotters Guide against The
Naturist. Some are worth more than others. There is no reason why the same
principle should not apply to web sites.

4. Is it not time that definitions of terms such as 'impression', 'page
view' and 'cpm' were adopted industry-wide? It would benefit advertisers
and their agencies and web publishers alike.

ps Any ideas how to make 'indecent money'?

--
Neville Clarke

www.airwise.com
The Independent Airport and Air Travel Guide