Subject: RE: UKNM: Interactive Television
From: Phil Sykes
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:11:08 +0100

> It doesn't really matter to CallNet that the CallNet name
> isn't big to end users, as that's not how they're setup. CallNET are primarily
> a backbone and ISP services company.

They're not a great backbone company, given that they're singly homed
through Cerbernet. Odd that their parent company hasn't given them any
bandwidth if they're such a huge player (who are they, exactly - world
callnet never gets mentioned on NANOG?).

> CallNet have made quite a lot of money from
> providing free ISP services to other people, a service for
> which they take a not too insubstantial cut, and their parent company makes
> most of it's cash from providing backbone bandwidth in the US.

Other than Scan Computers's gofree, which other ISPs do they host? I can't
imagine they're making millions from GoFree.

Phil Sykes, CentreNet
http://www.centre.net.uk/