Subject: RE: UKNM: Free connection companies
From: Pete
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:55:59 +0100

Free Internet Service Providers (or is low cost more politically correct?)
is something we have been paying quite close attention to through our
informal listing of most of them on 'Net 4 Nowt' at n4n.co.uk.

It is staggering the growth in the number of Free ISPs which is probably
something like 15 - 20 new ones a week at the moment, albeit, a lot of these
are just rebranded versions of BT Click and the like.

Growth in free-call access is now just starting to filter through with the
likes of Tempo, Force 9, Dizzi, Phonefree, X-Stream, Freecall-UK,
veryfree.net etc. I guess the message is to sign up with a load of them and
you may be able to get through at some time most evenings I guess! By all
accounts X-Stream grinds to a halt when on a free access deal.

Its great that all these brands are still jumping on to the free ISP band
wagon - but is it nearly full yet? It is harder to see why so many new
entrants are still here as ISP customer loyalty must be reducing by the day
as consumers easily switch to the provider that gives the best connectivity.

Pete
QiQ.co.uk

P.S. If anyone has a Free ISP as a client and is interested in advertising
on n4n, or total site sponsorship, please let me know.