Subject: RE: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: azeem azhar, lists
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 19:37:25 +0100

Well said, Leslie.

I'd try and make a distinction between QXL and something like LastMinute or
JCP.

QXL is a copy cat business; based explicitly on OnSale (does their model
work?) and eBay.

I like businesses with a new business model (LastMinute) or some innovative
technology (JCP) much more than I like copycat businesses.

A worring feature with UK copycat businesses is that a lot of them attempt
to copy US businesses without attempting to understand the underlying
financial model or business rationale. (I don't think QXL fits into this
category.)

Some of the other names are exciting. My apologies to the entrepreneurs
running them.

>There's plenty of good businesses being built today in the UK.
>
>What about QXL? And for that matter Eclipsis with travel? And then there's
>Cardcorp.com with an interesting proposal for business cards.
>
>Also, the folks at Infront with Alphabet and Audio Street and all the other
>streets they've got!
>
>And not forgetting the guys from the likes of RealCall, Netcall, PhoneMe etc
>who are offering call back and fax back services for business.
>
>There's some good stuff out there and people doing good things.
>

>Leslie
>

>> From: azeem azhar, lists[SMTP:azeem [dot] listsatbigfoot [dot] com]
> "I'm not sure if we've yet seen really compelling internet-based
>commerce
>> applications originate in the UK, with the exception of lastminute.com
>> (and
>> boo.com: yet to be seen)."

>Leslie Bunder
>Project Manager, TDL InfoSpace
>e-mail: Leslie [dot] Bunderatinfospaceuk [dot] com (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
>Web: www.infospace.co.uk
>tel: 01252 390516 (UK) +44 1252 390516 (outside UK)
>mobile: 07010 701967 (UK) or +44 7010 701967 (outside UK)
>Thomson House, 296 Farnborough Road, Hants, GU14 7NU

azeem azhar | www http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/ (*)
tel 07958 544 593 | icq 315460
fax 0207 691 0464 | pgp http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/pgp/

* updated