Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM ATTENTION: New Business People
From: Dorian Spackman
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:29:40 +0100

In regards to Clay's comments about the state of UK New Media industry.
They seem to provoke feelings in me that I want to share:

Some of you may know me, most of you won't, nearly all of you won't give a
damn but I have to say that I agree with his sentiments somewhat.
I believe that the internet is potentially the saving grace for certain
regions of the world in their dealings on a business level both internally
and internationally, against nations such as the US who are incredibly
powerful in their trade and influence. An old adage is that there are no big
or small companies on the web, just good and bad.

This list and a variety of it's members seem to be preoccupied with minutiae
of the most facile type in some cases, I for one would relish the
opportunity of having meaningful discussions in regards to things that
really matter, not whether my site with its latest graphical niceties is
going to attract more attention. If you want graphics look at www.eye4u.de
they leave a lot of you for dead anyway. If you want to get on, why don't we
start to discuss more important issues.

I'll start, why don't we try something progressive - The future of
electronic commerce, is it business to consumer or business to business?

It's not revolutionary but a point where the answer changes constantly and
has done for the 5 years I've been involved in e-commerce. It should also
provoke some of you into trying to actually sell the concept of doing
BUSINESS over the web to your clients. I've got my own client base who have
realised this and more are coming on board every week. I know that there are
others out there who are in the same space, Entranet is a name that I have
seen here recently for one. Don't you feel the same way?

Then try looking at some of the things that have been discussed here in the
last week, such as Broadband Multimedia and Interactive TV. They are being
discussed because they are coming. Some of you don't even know how to
integrate a database into the web, let alone how to put multi-delivery media
business strategies together.

I could have used this list over the last couple of years to just look at
you guys, research your client base and your weaknesses and attacked it from
there. I haven't done this but it makes me wonder looking on sometimes if
others may already be doing so.

We as a nation have some of the most talented IT (Yes, IT not just design)
people in the world (wasn't the idea of computing formulated here?) and I
could scream as more and more US and European companies move in and take all
the glory. We should be proud of our development and thought process
abilities and out pushing ourselves, not sitting around bitching. I recently
saw someone "laughingly" auction off the UK New Media industry on e-bay for
about $28. I smiled for a few moments and then thought a bit more. It dawned
on me that we have now reached the stage where we have become nothing more
than a bunch of whinging poms, to coin a phrase. What a crock of s**t.
Isn't it about time that we stood up and took note of what is going on? The
web is for business, believe this or you might as well call it a day now. If
you are involved in the "traditional" web development arena, it's about time
that you started to realise that the reason the Yanks are moving in and
buying you or squashing you is not because companies like WebMedia (sorry
Sam) and the like were poorly funded and Razorfish was simply swallowed by
someone larger. It is because you need to adapt to survive and we as an
industry don't do this.

If you don't have the in-house expertise to cope with PROPER e-business then
you best get some. If you can't bring this in-house, then talk to a company
that you can buddy up with. BUT make sure that they actually know what they
are talking about. A convincing salesman doesn't necessarily mean that what
backs it up is relevant. Yes, I am willing to help people. No, this is not a
lame sales pitch. It doesn't matter if it's me, or Entranet, or any other
British e-business solution provider, just help yourselves by speaking to
one of us.

SORT IT OUT. We deserve to be amongst the best in the world in electronic
business.

BE WARNED. If you don't, I'm coming for you and so is Chuck from US WEB
(remember Xplora?)

Be Seeing you.
Dorian Spackman
Business Development Director