Subject: UKNM: how do Freeserve ads work?
From: Steven Carlson
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:43:58 +0100

Hello All,

I haven't used Freeserve (and am unlikely to, since I don't live in the UK)
but I'm very interested in the business model (to the extent that they have
one).

In particular, I'm interested in how Freeserve displays advertisements to
its users, and any techniques they may employ to keep you watching those
ads. For example, do the adverts persist on your screen, as with NetZero?
Also, Is it possible to change the default homepage on the browser you get
with the starter CD, or is it non-standard software?

I don't often post on UKNM, but I know many of your 'faces' from Online
Europe (which I moderate). The free ISP model has been much discussed
there, as here, and we're waiting expectantly to see how well next Monday's
Freeserve floatation goes. Any of you buying shares?

Take part in building a European Internet!
Online Europe is moderated discussion list, published in a daily edited digest.
Subscribe by mailing: <europe-onatisys [dot] hu (mailto:europe-onatisys [dot] hu)>

Steven Carlson <steveatisys [dot] hu>
Online Europe moderator