Subject: Re: UKNM: You have 8 seconds
From: Steve Mynott
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:01:36 +0100

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 04:23:15AM -0400, Clay Shirky wrote:
> > Given that most users (and this is independent of whether they have
> > a leased line, ISDN or an old modem) are likely to see transfer
> > speeds of 2.5 - 5 KB/s across the internet web page sizes can be
> > between 20K and 40K.
>
> 2.5 to 5? On average? Where do you get these figures, they seem high
> to me.

I made them up like all good statistics :-)

Actually this is generally what I have seen in the bottom bar of
Netscape over the last three or four years and seems independent of the
speed of my modem or the speed of the leased line of the company I have
been working at (including an ISP), since the network bottleneck
is rarely at that end.

And yes I have seen larger numbers -- just not very often.

Actually 5 kilobytes per second would be a peak speed, average I would
say is closer to 2.5 with something like 300 bytes/speed and
decreasing as my "give up" or "try another" ISP rate.

My personal rule of thumb, and I am not a typical user is, if a page
has loaded about 30K and isn't visible, is still drawing frames or what
ever, I tend to hit stop and try another site.

My observations of less technical friends is that at first they love
the net but rapidly become disillusioned at the speed of the
"world wide wait".

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steveattightrope [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk http://www.pineal.com/

democracy is also a form of worship.
it is the worship of jackals by jackasses. -- h. l. mencken