Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #220 : Question on logs
From: mreeves
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:51:32 +0100

Tough question! For a start unique hosts is not much help these days in
determining unique visitors - for example virtually all of Freeserve's users
come through 1 of about 30 proxies which means no matter how many freeserve
users visit your site, your only going to log about 30 unique hosts. As well
as the problem with proxies there is also the issue that the majority of
isp's these days use dynamic IP addresses.

I would recommend using cookies to track unique users and then analyse your
log files with a commercial log analysis package such as webtrends (don't
get me wrong I love analog as it does analysis in a fraction of the time but
it could do with some more reports). While this approach is far from perfect
it will certainly give you a better idea.

The only accurate way to evaluate the number of unique visitors is to make
them all register!

Regards
Martin