Subject: UKNM: Rich media banners
From: Sally K
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:33:38 +0100

The biggest problem with some of these rich media ads are the use of Java
and their inteference with framed sites. At About.com, my previous
employers, I recall an instance whereby we could not accept rich media ads.
This was due to their interfering with the site's framed template. Also,
you need to be able to measure the hits which cannot be accurately measured
by the hosting site. The company we worked with, The Thinking Media
(http://www.thethinkingmedia.com) measured results on their end and
reported it to the advertiser.

What I was unclear about from your posting was whether your are developing
the ads on your own or will be outsourcing the project. If it is the
latter, I suggest you contact companies like The Thinking Media or Enliven
who produce Rich Media banners. More than likely, they are also familiar
with which sites or networks can or cannot host these banners. Another good
source for information on rich media is ClickZ network. Here's an article I
found on the subject http://www.searchz.com/clickz/043098.shtml so far.
Microscope, also part of ClickZ (htttp://www.microscope.com) offers some
examples in their archives of rich media banners.

The best advice I can give is to read up on the topic and check around with
the networks (Flycast, 24/7, DoubleClick, LinkExchange) and the individual
sites the client want to advertise on and go from there. I would suggest
you build an alternative banner for sites that may not support rich media
as well.

Good luck!

Sally Krumholz
Project Manager