Subject: Re: UKNM: dotcom advertising - or PR?
From: Richard Johnson
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:35:48 +0100

Reply to: RE: UKNM Digest V1 #570
Fiona's dead right about using juniors. This is something of which new
clients of ours always complain, just before making the decision to move.

As for the US having higher quality standards, I'm not sure I agree with
Neil. Perhaps they're just different.

In my short experience, the British advantage is the degree of cynicism
we tend to have in everything that we do, which just about keeps the best
practitioners objective enough to do a good job. Americans, on the other
hand, tend to buy in deeply to concepts and beliefs, exhibiting that
glassy-eyed religious convert look; they believe and that belief may be
perceived as naive and somewhat embarassing by us cynics, but it's just the
right
touch in their market.

As for naming and shaming - I've got some names, but is that ethical?

NUFC for the premiership

Richard

owner-uk-netmarketing-digest wrote:

>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:31:36 +0100
>From: "Fiona Campbell-Howes" <fionaatquinquireme [dot] com>
>Subject: Re: UKNM: dotcom advertising - or PR?
>
>I crafted a long email in defence of hi-tech PRs but when I reread it it
>sounded a bit pathetic, as it tended to pass all the blame back to the
>client.
>
>PR can be a curse - trying to get "ongoing coverage" and justify a
retainer
>budget for clients that have only something interesting to say or
someone
>interesting to say it once in a blue moon. I do agree that sometimes we
>don't think hard enough about how to approach something so that all
parties
>benefit and no one gets pissed off.
>
>The one thing that hi-tech PR agencies definitely do wrong is getting
the
>most junior staff (sometimes even administrators) to call journalists.
>These poor creatures are usually really nervous and have had no time to
>learn the basic principles of PR, understand the intricacies of the
client's
>technology or the markets in which the client operates, or grasp the
>workings of the media. It's not their fault and they usually grow up to
be
>good PRs, but it reflects badly on the agency as a whole.
>
>"Down-and-out deception" though, that sounds bad. I'd be mortified if I
>thought I'd ever deliberately deceived a journalist. What kind of thing
did
>you mean, Neil?
>
>Fiona

[Sam says: msg chopped for brevity]

Richard Johnson
Business Development Manager
Media Works Corporate Communications Ltd
11 Lisbon Square
Leeds
LS1 4LY

tel: 0113-399-3000
fax: 3001
ISDN: 3003
www.mediaworksccl.com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036