From: Bunder, Leslie
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:06:50 +0100

Let focus this to the UK and also lets focus by what we mean as
information and indeed the way we price information...

There are two areas for information. There is business to business and
there is consumer. We need to understand that there are differences in
these two markets and indeed in the way information is priced.

Businesses don't always want to get limited free information that may
suit a consumer for basic needs, they understand and know that
information is valuable and there is a price attached to it.

Indeed, also consumers realise that free information is not always able
to deliver what they want.

The other issue is how we price information. You may be a subscriber to
a share dealing service and pay an annual fee or pay per deal. In turn
for you dealing with that sharedealing service will be granted access to
content that non-subscribers don't have access to.

You see, the way in which we price information is also in the way we
package it and offer it to people and businesses. We can make it
"inclusive" within some deal. For example, you might buy a CD from a
music site and then buying that CD entitles you to some exclusive
content you can't get elsewhere.

I don't think the issue is about "free" information or content it is
about the way content is packaged and the way people percieve it.

You ask what information is not going to come down in price. I can't
guarantee predictions, but from what I can see, good quality databases
will not come down in price. Quality databases and content can only
stay that way if they are able to cover costs and make money to invest
in making the product better.

Leslie

Leslie Bunder
Project Manager, TDL InfoSpace
e-mail: Leslie [dot] Bunderatinfospaceuk [dot] com (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
Web: www.infospace.co.uk
tel: 01252 390516 (UK) +44 1252 390516 (outside UK)
mobile: 07010 701967 (UK) or +44 7010 701967 (outside UK)
Thomson House, 296 Farnborough Road, Hants, GU14 7NU