From: James Bruce
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:48:12 +0100

Yes, except that the proposition outlined is a snap shot view and doesn't
take into account evolution driven by competition.

The market's barriers to information are changing downwards *and* there are
more purveyors of information than ever before. The www has radically
re-defined the delivery and consumer models and early adaptors will
undoubtledly see the benefits, (it would be interesting to know how many of
the existing pure info vendors are using this channel in any way except to
propogate existing commercial models, I expect not many). All this will feed
it's way into the info economy by expanding it and lowering costs of
distribution, price elasticity will increase and the smarter info purveyors
will develop new pricing models.

One model which has had a lot of hot electrons / air vented recently is that
of the use of Ad banners to fund the distribution of 'quality
content/information at giveaway prices. This will lead to a world where
quality information becomes commoditised and is used to build brand and
expand the utility of a specific network centric application (if this world
isn't already here). This 'utility' value will ultimately be the capital
value of the enterprise.

Hanging on to 'good quality databases' using existing pricing models will
undoubtedly lead to the 'Encarta v Encyclopaedia Britannica' scenarios being
played out again. An aggressive brander *and* generator of quality info
could take share from the judicious exploitation of the new economic models.

Even hard-core business to business info dealers will have to re-assess the
competitive / collaborative impact of the www on the way they extract value
from their processes.

The days of easy money are numbered ;-)
(which days I hear you ask)

James Bruce