From: Bunder, Leslie
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:37:52 +0100

Yes, there are plenty of purveyors of information. But at the same
time, it is not always a case of free is what everyone wants and the
bottom line is that free does not sustain a business.

And indeed as mentioned before we need to realise that business to
business information is not the same as consumer. The needs are
different and the attitudes to how they use the information can also be
different.

Pure free information does not work long term unless there are other
ways of supporting it but within an overall package is what you can do.

Yes there is more information than ever before, but in all sorts of
price bands. We really need to be clear what we mean by information.
Are we talking consumer entertainment or are we talking company name
searches.

We need to focus on these two areas as two seperate businesses with
different objectives and needs.

Yes you can get free Net access via Freeserve, Virgin et al, but for a
business you really wouldn't want this as there are no levels of
guarantee, nor in any real come back if systems go down, lose data etc.
With a paid for service you can get all of this.

Likewise with free information. It may be very general, it may not be
up to date but it is free.

People will always willing to pay for something if they can see real
value in it.

>"Hanging on to 'good quality databases' using existing pricing models will
>undoubtedly lead to the 'Encarta v Encyclopaedia Britannica' scenarios being
played out again. "

In the above this is a consumer issue and indeed, Encarta came in with
agressive pricing. This is not a business to busness situation where
the game is not the same. Sure businesses want to lower costs and get
lower-cost information, but it needs to be quality information.

There will always be those who can do it "cheaper" but for how long can
it be "cheap"??? and what gurantees can you give that the information is
going to be accurate. I don't want "cheap" information if the value is
not there, I want cost-effective information that is going to help me
and my business and buying information on price alone is not what you
should be doing. You buy information on a number of levels and needs.

It's rather like you can get a press release for free which contains the
latest Jupiter or Fletcher report and indeed that will give valuable
information but if you buy the full report you will get an even better
picture and that is even more valuable than the press release.

Leslie
Leslie Bunder
Project Manager, TDL InfoSpace
e-mail: Leslie [dot] Bunderatinfospaceuk [dot] com (work) or leslieatbunder [dot] com (home)
Web: www.infospace.co.uk
tel: 01252 390516 (UK) +44 1252 390516 (outside UK)
mobile: 07010 701967 (UK) or +44 7010 701967 (outside UK)
Thomson House, 296 Farnborough Road, Hants, GU14 7NU