From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:18:16 +0100

Paul Douglas wrote:

> Stefan Magdalinski wrote:
>
> > you still watch telly? why?
>
> Indeed - why not sit really close to a RealPlayer window and squint....

I see the concept is too alien for you to comprehend. I don't watch
television, but it's the content I don't like rather than the
distribution mechanism. I don't want to watch Friends on the web either.

> > > i used to use multimap until i found i couldn't find my way to the
> > > nearest internet cafe from regent's park road
> >
> > I always print them out before I leave.
>
> [snip]

> I think this is the point, though. While a lot of information on the Net
> is indeed free, it takes, for example, half an hour online to locate the
> information you're after - and even with a free ISP, you're still paying

that, for me, is a very poor example. it never takes me 30 mins to type
a url, or 30 minutes to find anything for that matter

> for the phone calls. Then you have the cost of a couple of
> laserprints/bubble jet prints to add into that. For many people, picking
> up a daily paper, buying a copy of the A-Z, etc. actually works out cheaper.

ok. I'm not typical. I don't pay for print, and I'm online at work every
waking hour.

> And, in some instances, more convenient: it's easy for people with
> leased line connections to hop along to a Web page to check for
> information, but inconvenient for people with one phone line to switch
> on the PC, fire up the modem and go online.

absolutely. the 3 minute startup time is what really discourages
continuous seamless web use in the home. roll on better devices.

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski *new!* mobile:07931 376142