Subject: UKNM: Smart Customers
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:54:41 +0100

I agree that currently, as people get onto the web, they will tend to
stay within the quiet, secure confines and boundaries that have been
laid out by their ISP (e.g. Freeserve). Thus the Freeserve quote of 30%
of customers 'never go out'.

However I think that this is temporary and those people that choose to
get access to the net are looking for a type of adventure (of some
description or another). The ISPs may work really hard to offer the
adventure, but in fact all they are offering is a watered down and
limited version.

All it takes is one email - let's call it "So you think you've made the
most of the Web?" and a simple instruction on how to get the most from
the web, how to use Portals, Vortals, Directories for YOUR (the
customers) advantage. It will also indicate how to change your homepage
etc. It just gets passed around - rather like the joke you received
yesterday from one friend and two days previously from another friend,
they don't know each other - but it's the same network of people (using
the 5 degrees of separation principle).

There will always be those that are happy to say that they are 'on the
web' at dinner parties without ever engaging with the web - but are
these the future purchasing customers on the web? Are these the
high-earners? - probably not. The customers who engage with the web will
get smarter and smarter (and better informed) and I don't currently see
how any current ISP can force a customer into it's narrow confined
world.

The reason that Freeserve may be floated is that they actually
(probably) have no long term plan at all and suddenly realise that they
are looking at lots of customers (and spend) with little reward.