Subject: UKNM: UKNM Digest V1 #202 BT customer service online: a poor standard
From: thepartnership
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:36:50 +0100

azeem azhar wrote

>Continuing my current bug bear with large corporations trying to get the
>net; viz BT phone net.
>
>I sent a feedback message via their Web site on the 28 May.
>
>Today (jun 16th) I got an acknowledgement that they had received it and it
>was in the queue.
>
>Is 19 days good enough for an acknowledgement?

The answer (obviously) is absolutely not. Sadly, however, this level of
service seems to be the norm rather than the exception. There's loads of
surveys to support the case that email response management and indeed, the
whole issue of customer care online, including ecommerce fulfilment, is
currently done really badly. (EG 42% of emails sent to financial services
companies are never responded to at all!)

However, clients often forget that the real successes online, like Amazon
and Dell, are actually brilliantly slick fulfilment/customer care
operations, who happen to use the net to advertise. (OK, an exaggeration to
make a point!).

I also declare an interest here, particularly in the email management side
of things. I'm involved in running a very successful fulfilment company.
We've been banging on about email management for two years now to both
clients and prospects. Yes, they agree it's important to respond to emails.
Yes, they suppose it is important that emails are answered promptly and
probably the same day of receipt (or even acknowledged immediately and
responded to later). Yes, they understand that failing to respond to
queries will lead directly to lost business. So why are they never prepared
to do something about it? OK, I'd be the first to admit that this isn't the
sexy bit on ecommerce, but surely everyone can see it's important?

Anyway, enough ranting. If anyone has any comments on why this is so often
overlooked, I'd be really interested.

Kind regards

Russell Buckley
The Handling Partnership
Tel: 0171 350 1113 Fax: 0171 228 4340

russellatfulfilment [dot] net
http://www.thepartnership.co.uk
ecommerce fulfilment * mail order * telebusiness * email response handling