Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: azeem azhar, lists
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:58:38 +0100

At 7:00 pm -0400 19/6/99, Clay Shirky wrote:

>Britain has already lost ground here - the biggest British search
>engine is Yahoo, the biggest British auction site is eBay, the biggest
>British bookstore is Amazon, and the biggest UK-based site is run by
>the BBC. When the Government can create the most popular home-grown
>site going, you know private industry has coming catching up to do.

I'd also add that so much of what is created, especially by incmbents, is
defensive anyway. And not mould-breaking or gut-wrenchingly exciting.

I'm not sure if we've yet seen really compelling internet-based commerce
applications originate in the UK, with the exception of lastminute.com (and
boo.com: yet to be seen).

And you may be being slightly unfair to the UK market; there are a small
number of excellent start-ups kicking around, a fair few of which were
acquired by US entrants coming into the market between 95 and today.

azeem azhar | www http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/
tel 07958 544 593 | icq 315460
fax 0207 691 0464 | pgp http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/pgp/