Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: neville clarke
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:30:46 +0100

Dear Mr Clay Shirky

Stick around a while.

1. The BBC is not "government-run." (PBS is.)

2. I switched off WWWAC/NYMA when the posts ran off the page and politics
became more important than the job.

3. Most Brits have come to terms with the fact that we didn't win the war -
it was Hollywood for goodness sake!

Yours sincerely,

Neville Clarke

At 19:00 19/06/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> A number of things
>>
>> 1. The amount of capital hasn't been as significant for the usual
>> reasons [snip]
>
>This is the best assessment of the NM business climate in the UK I've
>seen yet - thanks for this.
>
>> We seem to have a disproportionately small number of "great ideas"
>> but they can still happen, viz: Orchestream (nerd technology),
>> Moreover (biz e-publishing). And when we do have blockbusters, Keith
>> Teare's RealNames and a couple of others, we take them to the
>> action, somewhere in the Valley.
>
>The weird thing about this is that I know more New Yorkers than
>Londoners who get how important the UK market has become. Everyone on
>this list should be getting down on their knees and thanking whatever
>gods they worship that Freeserve has upended the market, since it
>validates the British internet industry as more than just the
>easternmost ecommerce outlet for Silicon Valley.
>
>Britain has already lost ground here - the biggest British search
>engine is Yahoo, the biggest British auction site is eBay, the biggest
>British bookstore is Amazon, and the biggest UK-based site is run by
>the BBC. When the Government can create the most popular home-grown
>site going, you know private industry has coming catching up to do.
>
>> 3. Do we have the resources and support networks that are taken for
>> granted? London isn't yet great at networking. NY now has NYNMA running
>> events virtually nightly;
>
>Being a transplanted Silicon Alley-ite, I gotta say that whats missing
>is not just a London NYNMA but a London WWWAC - a place not just for
>marketers but for developers as well, and for new arrivals trying to
>find their way around. London needs a mailing list with the necessary
>mass of thousands of readers to actually affect the way business is
>done when new information needs to be disseminated.
>
>Where do developers hang out? Is there a list for
>techies/html'ers/designers akin to UKNM anywhere?
>
>-clay

Neville Clarke
AIRWISE
<http://www.airwise.com/>