Subject: RE: UKNM: Why Jakob Nielsen hates banner ads
From: Steve Johnston
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:56:42 +0100

I have a lot of time for Jakob's input but I struggled to finish reading
this short piece. The reason being that I don't recognise the
generalised web user in his opening sentences - extracted below. People
are at times very goal-driven online, however they also do a lot of
'grazing', enjoying the hyperlinked possibilities. So whilst I tend to
agree in general terms about the prognosis for banner ads, I think to
generalise banners as a 'distraction' may be over-simplifying it.

'Says he: "People do not go on the web to get side-tracked. People are
extremely goal-driven on the web." When people are surfing the web, he
says, "they're ready to click, they're ready to move," not be
distracted. '

Steve Johnston
steve [dot] johnstonatentranet [dot] co [dot] uk
Mobile +44 (0)7901 853273
Office +44 (0)1491 878787