Subject: Re: UKNM: New Media vs Old Hat
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:59:18 +0100

Tim Ireland <timatdesignercity [dot] com> asks:

> 1. The more the Internet is perceived in a negative/confusing/overblown
> fashion, the more we are reliant on mainstream media spending to show
> otherwise. Is this why newspapers, radio & television distribute so much
> misinformation, or am I just being paranoid?

Yes (and no to being paranoid). There is no conspiracy, it's just that old
media people think their own medium is great and all others (especially the
new ones) are poor relations.

> 2. Why is it that commercials for 'dotcoms' are - almost without
exception -
> the most misguided and horrible TVCs imaginable?

TV ads are done by traditional agencies with the aim of burning client cash
as quickly as possible. They don't get what it is they are supposed to
advertise and are stuck in the
fastcarpremiumbeerhousewifeschoicewashingpowder mode of the 1980s/90s.

They are misguiding their clients who in turn are falling for the
traditional ad agency bollocks. If only old ad agencies could sell their
clients' products as well as they can sell themselves to the unwary and
inexperienced. Equally, if all media industry awards included the
qualification "... and sold lots of the client's products while improving
customer perception and service," there would be perhaps more effort on
results, less on swank (with or without the "s").

> 3. Instead of educating politicians about the web, wouldn't it be easier
> increase their ignorance a notch or two instead - thus rendering them
> completely unaware of the issue?

Joking aside, one of the problems the industry has always had is that it
tends to be its own worst enemy in totally obfuscating most of the issues as
far as the general public are concerned. A little more clarity all around
would help everyone.

Or is this the theme of your next book?

Ray Taylor