Subject: Re: UKNM: DHL/Fedex
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:26:45 +0100

At 13:27 06/06/00 +0100, Sam wrote:
>But surely their contract is with the person sending out the item, not the
>person receiving it? When I order goods I don't choose who the carrier is
>(unless I want "next day" service etc), I don't tick a box, sign a form
etc.
>Another firm can't accept terms/conditions on your behalf, can they?

This isn't the issue. By purchasing the item, you are effectively importing
it. Consequently you owe VAT to HM Customs & Excise. DHL have paid this on
your behalf, as they explain, in order to ensure that your delivery isn't
delayed. If they took you to court, I'm sure the majority of people would
end up paying the money, plus costs.

>I think you're right, sites should carry a warning that you're liable to
>have to pay tax in the future.

I agree for companies that actively promote their products/services
internationally and have a site in the UK, such as Macromedia. For others I
think the onus should be on the consumer to know - it's difficult for
companies to keep abreast of all developments regarding taxes and import
duty in every country/region they may deliver to. But retailers should warn
consumers of the possibility of extra importation charges - and most don't.

>And I think handling charges stink.

Agreed. My argument is that DHL know, having been in the business for some
time, that certain types of companies will receive a certain average of
International orders that will need to be handled in this way.
Consequently, for the handling charge alone, they should amend their charge
to the exporter accordingly.

>But I
>can't see how the customer can be said to agree to a carrier's terms and
>conditions...

They don't need to.

All the best,

--