Subject: RE: UKNM: Breathe.com
From: Irakli West
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:43:17 +0100

My tuppence

1) Advertising
In the case of a .com product it is imho best spent explaining the product

rather than trying to appeal emotionally (or at least a combination of
both), not the least as a web site and *especially* a mobile site come
nowhere near creating a compelling emotional experience.

Does breathe.com need explanation? yes - it's a service, use your on-air
time to explain the product. Does nescafe (arbitrary example, obviously)
need explaining? No - it's FMCG with little differentiation - sell the
experience. As an example and leaving quality aside, the ad tells me what
Lycos does, doesn't it?

My time in DRTV (direct response television) has taught me to use the entire
ad to display the telephone number and URL - 5 seconds at the end won't do.

2) Breathe
Problem product - there are quite a few other similar services out there
such as yourwap.de, iobox.com, genie offering 'comprehensive' personal
communication WAP- and SMS-based tools. Problem is, there are no WAP phones
out there and existing WAP services are 99% useless. Try a WAP phone, you'll
see what I mean.

Breathe might run out of cash long before any solid revenue stream or GPRS/
3G technology is in place, unless this consumer service is subsidised by
some other revenue or enough funding.

imho, the future in the mobile portals (also known as mortals :) belongs
either to established players of the 'old new economy' such as visto.com - I
use their WAP service all the time - or to genuinely useful applications/
features. Check out wap.adac.de for live traffic update in Germany.

In the end I find the kind of money spent on marketing necessary if you want
to build a brand from scratch but often in the wrong place. Quoting an
earlier mail in this list a mix of advertising and PR might make more sense.

as said, my tuppence

Irakli West
Mobile Digital Services
Syzygy Ltd.