Subject: UKNM: VIRUS WARNING: Summary
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:40:31 GMT

Hopefully (fingers very crossed) this covers the issues raised by the whole
email virus thang. From a tech perspective if there's more, email me direct
and I'll compile postings rather than re-tread the same ground again.

To summarise the virus situation:

* You can get a virus from an email message _only_ if it is contained in an
attachment to that email message _and_ the email attachment is executed.
* Make sure your email program does not execute attachments when
downloading your email, this is the default setting on most programs, so
don't panic!
* Good Times and all the other email hoaxes have taken their fare share of
'hoax bandwidth' since the earliest days of the net. I've lost count of the
number of times I've seen them now!

If you want to do something to protect yourself against viruses (virtual
ones - in the real world, you have to take two aspirin and come back in the
morning, at least that's what the doc tells me!), install a decent virus
checking program such as:

McAfee (now comes bundled with Eudora 4.0) (http://www.mcafee.com)
Norton AntiVirus (http://www.sarc.com)

Or you can use email forwarding services like Bigfoot
(http://www.bigfoot.com), which automatically scan email with virus checkers.

Toodle Pip

Sam
Webmedia Group, 21 Noel St, London, W1V 3RD
T: 0171 494 0812 F: 0171 434 1304 E: samatwebmedia [dot] com
ICQ Pager: 4561042
Webmedia: http://www.webmedia.com
ShockeR: http://www.shocker.com